I came across a great list of resources for product managers by Adam Eldarov, the Chief Product Officer at YouDo. YouDo is a Russian company, and the list is in Russian. I believe that it is great (I have read 10 books from it so far and loved them.) and that it is worth showing it to the English-speaking audience.
The following article is the translation of Adam’s text to English. I removed links to the resources that require the knowledge of Russian. For example, the sections of “Customer Journey Map” and “UX Writing” were removed.
If you speak Russian, I recommend using the original article.
In the modern tech world, engineers work closely with product people. Hence, I recommend these books to all engineers. It will boost skills and help to advance the career.
In this article, you will find resources to boost your product skills. After finishing the list, you will know the theory at the Lead Product Manager level. It is only a theory. It complements but does not substitute practical skills.
Each section corresponds to the specific skill that is required to build successful products.
There is no particular order in which you need to choose the section, but after choosing one, I recommend studying the material within this section in the given order.
- INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
- Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
- Intercom on Product Management
- Shape Up
- The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Products that Win
- Lean Customer Development: Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
- Just Enough Research
Jobs to be Done
- Intercom on Jobs‑to‑be‑Done
- When Coffee and Kale Compete: Become great at making products people will buy
Decision-making and the analysis of metrics
- Understanding Michael Porter: The Essential Guide to Competition and Strategy
- Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
- 7 Powers: The Foundations of Business Strategy
- Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
How business and economy work
Business models and promoting the product
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
- Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
- Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers
- 50+ business model examples
UI & UX
- The Design of Everyday Things
- Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
- The Non-Designer’s Design Book
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
- Scaling Lean: Mastering the Key Metrics for Startup Growth
- Agile Manifesto
- Scrum Guide
- Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
- Scrum and Xp from the Trenches
- How to apply a design thinking, HCD, UX or any creative process from scratch
- Sprint (How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days)
- Nonviolent Communication (A Language of Life)
- Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition
- How To Win Friends and Influence People
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- Everything is Negotiable
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
- Start with No: The Negotiating Tools that the Pros Don’t Want You to Know
- High Output Management
- Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
- The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
- Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action